Attention Norfolk residents! The white stuff is falling, and the city has declared a snow emergency. But don’t fret, this blog is your one-stop guide to staying safe and informed during this wintery blast.
What Exactly is a Snow Emergency?
A snow emergency means the city prioritizes snow removal on designated routes to ensure emergency vehicles and essential services can operate. This often involves parking restrictions and other measures to facilitate efficient plowing.
What Does This Mean for You?
- Parking restrictions: Pay close attention to signage and city announcements. You may be required to park on the designated side of the street or even move your car altogether to avoid being ticketed or towed.
- Travel advisories: Roads may be slick and hazardous, so avoid unnecessary travel. If you must go out, drive slowly and cautiously, leaving extra time for your journey.
- Stay informed: Keep an eye on local news and weather reports for updates on the storm and any changes to the snow emergency status. The City of Norfolk website and social media channels are excellent resources.
Tips for Surviving the Snow Emergency:
- Stock up on essentials: Make sure you have enough groceries, medications, and other necessities to last for a few days in case of power outages or road closures.
- Stay warm: Dress in layers, wear proper footwear, and keep your thermostat set to a comfortable temperature.
- Check on neighbors: Especially if you have elderly or vulnerable neighbors, check in on them to ensure they are safe and have what they need.
- Have fun!: Embrace the winter wonderland! Build a snowman, go sledding, or simply enjoy the cozy atmosphere from inside your home.